Earlier this week I got to attend the ultimate girl-power meetup hosted by one of my favorite magazines --Glamour's Women Of The Year Live Summit. Taking place at the Brooklyn Museum the awe-inspiring day featured panels, speeches and conversations pertinent to women’s lives in 2017. I saw, listened to, and even met some of my favorite women in numerous industries: media, entertainment, tech, business, and politics.
This is the second year I've attended and I left even more inspired this time around. The day kicked off with a great (and berry-filled!) breakfast and a power anthem performance from the queen of power anthems, Rachel Platten. Next everyone made their way to the auditorium and the action really kicked off. Here's everything I loved and learned.
- U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in a brutal attack in 2011, speaking about fighting to make the world a better place in terms of gun violence.
- Dr. Jill Biden former Vice President Joe Biden in conversation with Glamour editor-in-chief Cindi Leive. He really loves Barack y'all!
- Mattel announcing the newest Shero Barbie with a hijab modeled after Olympic fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad.
- Congresswoman Maxine Waters suggesting that I run for office. (hmm, new career path maybe?)
- Uzo Aduba moving live reading of a passage from Nadia Murad's memoir about escaping ISIS.
- Tracee Ellis Ross speaking out against the notion that women need a husband or kids to be happy.
- L'Oreal's #TakeACompliment campaign presentation.
- Gabrielle Union's fireside chat about how to keep it real in all areas of life.
Key takeaways + Quotes
- "Not in my time, but in God's time." - a proverb courtesy of actress and trans activist Laverne Cox
- "Defeat is perhaps the universe telling us to go in a different direction." -Another gem from Laverne
- "Pessimism only protects the status quo and I have no interest in protecting the status quo." -Chelsea Clinton. Instead her advice: optimism.
- "I trust my gut. It’s OK to say, 'This is what I think for me.' Then I go out there and just be me." -Payal Kadakia, Founder and CEO of ClassPass
- “[Once you have a good relationship with yourself] Any relationship you have is a plus not a must.” -Diane Von Furstenberg
- Uber CBO Bozoma Saint John's advice for when a man talks over you in a meeting: "Talk louder."
And the best quote from the actual WOTY awards ceremony (which I saw via live stream)
comes courtesy of my favorite 2017 honoree: